As a wedding planner, I hear a lot of couples wanting to have a sustainable wedding. It’s a great way to reduce your environmental impact and save a bit of money. Here are some tips for having a sustainable wedding that’s beautiful and memorable!
1. Start with sustainable invitations. There are a lot of paperless invitation options out there that allow you to send digital invites to your guests. Or choose recycled paper, vegetable-based ink, or biodegradable for printed cards.
2. Think about what you’re wearing. Buy a pre-owned wedding dress or rent one. There are also lots of sustainable clothing options available or if you do buy new, consider passing your dress along so someone else can enjoy it.
3. Opt for a locally-sourced wedding menu. Not only will this reduce your carbon footprint, but it will also add a unique flavor to your reception. Ask your caterer to source locally-grown ingredients for your meal.
4. Make sure your décor is eco-friendly. Incorporate natural elements like flowers and plants. Look for locally-made decorations and use LED lighting to reduce your energy consumption.
5. Choose sustainable favors. Instead of giving away disposable trinkets, opt for something that your guests can use and enjoy. Consider donating to a charity in lieu of favors or offer something edible like a jar of local honey or jam or even give a packet of seeds!
6. Finally, choose a sustainable venue. If you’re getting married outdoors, make sure to leave the area in the same condition as you found it. If you’re having an indoor reception, look for a venue that uses renewable energy sources and recycles.
With a little bit of effort, you can have a beautiful, sustainable wedding that’s easy on the environment. By following these tips, you’ll be sure to have a day that you’ll never forget!